Power of Attorney statement search
On this page
What is a Power of Attorney (POA)?
A Power of Attorney (POA) is a written instrument authorising a person to act as agent for another person to the extent indicated in the instrument. The person with authority doesn’t need to be a legal practitioner, and could be the Public Trustee, the Adult Guardian, a relative or friend of the principal.
In Qld, a POA dealing with real estate must be stamped and recorded in the Power of Attorney Register within the land registry.
What information will I get from a Power of Attorney statement search?
A Power of Attorney statement extract includes:
- principal and attorney names
- dealing number
- effective date.
Can I order a copy of the POA?
Yes, you can order copies of the POA through ‘Order images: document/dealing’ on the Qld land searches menu.
Are all POAs in Qld on this database?
You can retrieve POA information related to real estate from this search.
What does the information on a Qld POA mean?
|Principal/Donor||The person principally concerned and giving the power.|
|Attorney/Donee||The person appointed as agent and receiving the power.|
|Effective date||This is the nominated date for commencement. If no date is nominated, the POA begins immediately.|
|Enduring POA||Allows the principal to appoint someone they trust to make decisions for them during their life time, if they no longer have the capacity to do so. An enduring power of attorney usually takes effect when the principal loses capacity to manage their own affairs.|
|General POA||Allows the principal to appoint someone they trust to make decisions about financial matters for them. The POA only has effect while the principal has capacity to make decisions about those matters.|
What search criteria should I use?
You have three options to do a search:
- by dealing number
- enter the company name or the surname and given name of the principal
- enter the company name or the surname and given name of the attorney.
How will I receive my results?
Results will be immediately available via the result screen. Simply select ‘Completed’ to view results in PDF format.
Results will also be in the Confirm inbox for up to 30 calendar days. You can retrieve, print or save the result again at no extra cost.
You can also choose to receive a result via email. If you have a default profile with an email address, your address will be auto-filled. Visit Profiles for more information.
Can I use wildcards to search for a POA?
You can use a wildcard ‘%’ when searching on a company name or surname.
Enter at least three characters before the wildcard. However, for given names, enter at least one character.
If you don’t use a wildcard, the search will look for exact matches in that field.
- Surname ‘Green’, no given name will find all persons with the surname ‘Green’ regardless of given name.
- Surname ‘Green’, given name ‘John’ will find only persons with the surname ‘Green’ and the single given name ‘John’. The search won’t find ‘John Robert Green’.
- Surname ‘Green’, given name: ‘J%’ will find all persons with the surname ‘Green’ and a given name beginning with ‘J’. So, the search would find ‘John Robert Green’.
- Surname ‘Green%’, given name ‘J%’ will find all persons with a surname beginning with ‘Green’ and a given name beginning with ‘J’. So, the search would find ‘John Greene’.