Personal Property Securities Register (PPSR)
On this page
What is the Personal Property Securities Register (PPSR) used for?
PPSR is used to determine priority for secured creditors in the case of debtor default or liquidation.
Secured parties and potential secured parties can:
- register to search for security interests in personal property
- register security interests in personal property.
By default, all users can access the PPSR search functions.
What search options are available?
Through our PPSR solution, you can search by:
- motor vehicle (using a VIN, chassis or manufacturer’s number)
- PPSR registration number
- serial number.
In addition, a bulk upload option is available. With this, you can upload a ZIP file containing a prepared spreadsheet in CSV format.
How do I check if a motor vehicle has finance owing?
PPSR allows you to search for financial interests on a motor vehicle.
To search by motor vehicle:
- Select ‘Search’ and then ‘Search by motor vehicle’.
- The ‘Motor vehicle search (new) screen’ will display.
- Enter your reference for the search, then enter either the VIN, chassis or manufacturer’s number for the motor vehicle.
- Select ‘Search’.
- The ‘Search results’ pane will display the results found, and you can download results via the search certificate link on the ‘Preview’ tab, or via the ‘Download all certificates’ button.
A search of the PPSR will be conducted, and a search fee will apply for each field you fill in.
What is a grantor?
A grantor is an individual or an organisation who owns or has an interest in the personal property that has a security interest.
A grantor includes an individual or an organisation who receives goods under:
- a commercial consignment
- a lessee under a PPS lease
- a transferor of an account or chattel paper.
A glossary of PPSR terminology is in our PPSR user guide.
How do I search on a grantor (organisation or individual)?
A grantor organisation search allows you to search for security interests registered against an organisation that may have had various identifiers.
You can do multiple searches of the register at once. Searching against multiple criteria enables you to do a thorough search of migrated registrations.
You can do a grantor organisation search with:
- an ABN
- an ACN
- a verified name
- a search name
- an ARBN or ARSN.
The grantor individual search is based on the individual grantor’s name and date of birth.
- The search will only return exact matches on the name you search. Therefore, you may require multiple searches to search name variations.
- If the individual grantor is also registered with an ABN (for example sole traders), you can use that ABN for your search.
To do your search:
- Enter your reference. This will appear in the Confirm inbox and on your usage report to help identify transactions.
- Enter the search criteria, and select ‘Verify’ to check the details against ASIC and the Australian Business Register (ABR) database. This information will pre-populate into the appropriate fields.
- Select the checkboxes next to each identifier to search using that information.
- Once you’ve completed the fields, select ‘Search’. The ‘Search results’ grid will display the results.
You can do multiple searches using different associated identifiers. Select the checkboxes next to each identifier to search using that information.
If you’d like to automatically retrieve all search certificates with your search results, the checkbox is selected to auto-retrieve certificates by default.
You also have the option to include a search filter to narrow your search to a specific collateral type or date range.
A search of the PPSR will be conducted for each field you select. You’ll receive a search fee for each field you select.
How do I download my search results?
Once you have selected ‘Search’, the ‘Search results’ grid will display the results. To view the details of a registration, select the required result row. Details will display in the ‘Preview’ section.
How do I view my previous search results?
Your search results are stored for 90 days, and can be accessed from the search grid. To access your results, either:
- Select the ‘Search grid’ button on the ESIS for PPSR home page.
- Go to ‘Search’ and then select ‘Search grid’.
You can use the ‘Search type filter’ to filter the grid by registration number, grantor or serialised. Select the column heading to sort in ascending or descending order.
The ‘Search criteria’ and ‘Search results’ tabs provide extra information about a selected search result. Select the ESIS ID link to view the selected search result.
How do I create PPSR registrations?
There are three ways to register your interests using PPSR:
- registration express
- registration wizard
- bulk upload.
Before you can register any security interests, you’ll need to create a secured party group (SPG).
To register a security interest you’ll need:
- collateral type (commercial or consumer)
- secured party details (SPG number)
- collateral class (what you are registering)
- grantor details (if applicable).
What is the difference between registration express and registration wizard?
Registration of a new security interest is faster via ‘Registration express’. To use this express option, you’ll need to set up contract types.
The ‘Registration wizard’ doesn’t require contract types. However, if you do have contract types, they can be used.
How do I create a registration using registration express?
From the menu bar, select ‘Registration’ and then ‘Create registration express’. Or, from the ‘Create new’ menu, select ‘Express registration’.
The ‘Registration express (new) screen’ will display.
Then complete the following steps:
- If multiple SPGs are set-up, ensure you select the correct one from the drop-down list.
- Enter the giving of notice identifier (GONI) and a trading name.
- Select the ‘Collateral type’. Commercial is the default.
- Select the ‘Contract type’ from the drop-down list, then select ‘Add’. The collateral you select will display on the right section of the screen.
- Choose the ‘Grantor type’. Organisation is the default. For an organisation, enter the ‘Organisation number’.
- Select ‘Verify’. The ‘Organisation number’ will be checked against the ASIC and ABR databases. The status will display in the ‘Company information’ window. The ‘Number type’ and ‘Name’ will also prefill.
- As per the Personal Properties Securities Act 2009 (Cth), if an organisation has both an ABN and ACN, use the ACN to register.
- Enter a ‘Customer reference’ and select ‘Add’. The details you enter will display on the right section of the screen.
- For an ‘Individual grantor’, enter the given name/s, surname and date of birth.
- If you have categories set-up, select a category from the drop-down list.
- You can use the client User Defined Fields (UDF) fields to record extra information about the registration. Details you enter in the field ‘Client UDF 1’ will be the reference for this transaction in your Confirm usage reports.
- To amend the selected ‘Grantor’ and/or ‘Collateral’, select ‘X’ to remove and then repeat the selection process.
- When complete, select ‘Submit’ to send the registration to PPSR. The ‘Registrations grid’ will display the status of the registration. ‘Confirmed’ means that the registration is complete and now recorded on PPSR.
How do I create a registration using registration wizard?
From the menu bar, select ‘Registration wizard’ under the ‘Create new’ menu. The ‘Registration wizard (new) screen’ will open on the ‘Details’ tab.
Next, complete the following:
- Ensure you select the correct SPG from the drop-down list.
- Enter the GONI and a trading name.
- Move onto the ‘Collateral’ tab. Here you can create a new collateral item or use an existing contract type to prefill defined fields. Select ‘OK’.
- Confirm the collateral details, then select ‘Add’. Select ‘Next’ to move onto the ‘Grantor’ tab.
- Follow steps 5 – 13 for How do I create a registrations using registration express.
What are contract types?
Contract types are predetermined collateral profiles or defaults that you can select when doing new registrations. You can do this through the ‘Registration’ functions or the ‘Bulk registration’ upload.
Contract types enable you to store default collateral details, so you only need to select a contract type code when creating registrations.
By creating contract types upfront, you can streamline your internal workflow and minimise repetitive data entry. When you need to register more than one security interest, contract types provide an efficient way of grouping these interests in one transaction.
Our PPSR user guide provides more information on setting up contract types.
What is a secured party group (SPG)?
SPGs exist to register interests on the PPSR, as registrations cannot exist unless associated with one. If you only wish to search the PPSR for registrations, you don’t need a SPG.
How do I create a SPG?
On the menu bar select ‘Registration’ then ‘Create Secured Party Group’. The ‘SPG wizard (new)’ screen will display.
- Select the type of SPG required.
- Select ‘Create a new standard Secured Party Group’.
- Select ‘Create a delegate Secured Party Group’ if you’re registering security interests on behalf of a SPG.
- Enter the name for the SPG and select ‘Next’.
- Enter the mailing address. If the mailing and physical address are the same, select ‘Copy from mailing address’ to populate the details. Select ‘Next’.
- Enter the new SPG details.
- Select ‘Verify’ to validate the organisation number against the ASIC or ABR databases. If you’ve entered and verified an ABN that has a valid ACN, the company information will display and fill the ‘Organisation number’ field with the ACN.
- Select ‘Add’. The secured party’s information will display. Select ‘Edit’ to make any changes. To come back to this later, check all details and select ‘Save’. The saved partially completed SPG will be available in the ‘Under review’ tab.
- Once you’re satisfied that the information is correct, select ‘Submit’.
How do I amend a registration?
Go to the ‘Registrations grid’, then select the ‘Registered’ or ‘All status’ buttons:
- Select ‘All’, ‘Registration number’, or ‘Giving of notice identifier’ from the drop-down list.
- Enter the details and search for the registration.
- The matching registration will display. Select the ESIS ID link to display the registration details and then ‘Amend’.
How do I discharge a registration?
- Select ‘All’ or ‘Registration number’ from the drop-down list in the ‘Registrations grid’.
- Search for the registration number.
- Select ‘Discharge’, then ‘OK’ to proceed. Once the discharge has been confirmed, the registration will appear in the ‘Discharged/Expired grid’.